How Much Weight Can You Lose with Liposuction?
Liposuction has an amazing place in your weight loss journey, but it is not an effective weight-loss tactic.
In this guide, we’ll go over:
- How much weight you can lose through liposuction
- How liposuction fits into your weight-loss journey
- What to expect when you go in for liposuction
What is Liposuction?
When you gain weight, fat cells increase in various areas of the body. Some of these fat cells are resistant to traditional weight loss methods, leading to disproportionate areas on the belly, thighs, buttocks, neck, and other areas.
Liposuction removes fat to re-sculpt your body, which helps to remove these resistant fat cells, giving a more aesthetically pleasing shape to the affected area.
How Much Weight Can I Lose With Liposuction?
According to best practice guidelines, there are fat removal limits in liposuction. The maximum a surgeon should remove is 5,000 milliliters (11 pounds) of fat and fluids. However, this is limited by factors including:
- The area affected
- The volume of fat cells in the area
- The patient’s weight and BMI
- Medical history and risks
In most cases, you will only lose a few pounds during surgery. Liposuction is only meant to reshape and reduce the number of fat cells in a specific area. As a result, you do not lose as much weight as you would with traditional weight loss methods like dieting, exercise, and bariatric procedures.
How Does Liposuction Fit Into My Weight Loss Journey?
Liposuction is not for weight loss, but it does have some amazing benefits:
- Permanent removal of stubborn fat cells that do not respond to traditional methods
- It can positively affect BMI and other related health factors
- Look better in your clothes when the lumpy and disproportionate areas are reshaped
While liposuction will not help you lose a significant amount of weight, it can help you look and feel amazing. It should be seen as an enhancement to your weight loss journey rather than a primary tactic.
What Should You Expect During Liposuction?
Liposuction is an outpatient procedure that lasts 1-3+ hours. Before you start, your surgeon will go through a comprehensive consult to:
- Make sure liposuction is right for you.
- Make sure it is the right time in your weight loss journey to do it.
- Assess the risks and benefits.
- Discuss the expectations and results for the procedure.
- Assess any health factors that could lead to complications like smoking, heart disease, diabetes, and poor blood flow.
- Assess the best type of liposuction and anesthesia for your situation.
The surgery itself will depend on the type of liposuction used and the affected area. In most cases, you will be able to go home the same day.
Modern practices try to minimize post-surgery swelling and discomfort. If you have children or other dependents, you may want to enlist help for their care to give yourself a few days to focus on rest and recovery. Then, depending on the physical requirements of your job and daily life, you can return to your normal routines in a few days.
Depending on the extent of the surgery, your surgeon may give you a compression garment to wear. This is meant to help reduce swelling and help your skin bounce back into the intended shape.
In addition, there will be some scarring from the procedure. However, the scars will fade over time, and in most cases, they will be barely visible after a year.
Where Can I Find an Expert Consultation for Liposuction Surgery in California?
Ready to see if liposuction is the next step in your weight loss journey? Our trained professionals are located in San Diego and Carlsbad. Contact Us for a free consultation!