After Laser Hair Removal (Post-Op)
Our cosmetic specialist Dr. Reza Tirgari will give you detailed instructions for care after your laser hair removal procedure. In most cases, you will not experience any complications, discomfort, or downtime. You will be asked not to shave the area for some time to avoid irritation. You will see Dr. Tirgari for a follow-up appointment to make sure your laser hair removal procedure went well.
You've had your laser treatment and are ecstatic for smooth, hair-free skin. Make sure your results look amazing with these instructions for healing and aftercare:
- DO avoid sun exposure for at least one 1 week after your appointment.
- DO use a sunblock rated as SPF 30 or higher on any exposed areas of skin, when you are outside for a prolonged period.
- DO use an ice pack, cold compress or aloe vera gel immediately after your appointment to relieve redness, itching and burning.
- DON'T use a hot tub, steam room or sauna for 2-3 days after your appointment, to prevent skin irritation.
- DON'T engage in strenuous exercise or yoga, or activities that cause excessive sweating for 2-3 days after the treatment to prevent irritation.
- DON'T take a hot shower for at least 24 hours following laser treatment. Opt instead for cool water.
- DON'T use abrasive cleansers, exfoliators or other harsh skin products for at least a week.
- DON'T dry skin by rubbing with towels for at least 24 hours. Gently pat dry instead.
- DON'T apply any cosmetics to your skin until the redness has completely subsided.
There are a few temporary side effects that may occur after a laser hair removal treatment. Occasionally, depending on the body area, you may experience mild burning sensation during and after the procedure. This can easily be alleviated with a local anesthetic cream or ice packs. Discomfort after the procedure is very rare, although over-the-counter pain relief medication often helps. Any minor swelling and redness should subside within 24 hours.