Thinning hair and the early signs of balding are natural and affect both men and women as they age. Whether due to genetics or a medical condition, hair restoration treatments can help you ward off further hair loss. These treatments most commonly feature platelet-rich plasma (PRP) or PRFM (platelet-rich fibrin matrix) to stimulate healthy, new hair growth by releasing growth factors.
Let’s explore the differences between the two and why Dr. Tirgari prefers PRFM.
PRP stimulates tissue regrowth
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy for hair loss is a three-step, in-office procedure that triggers natural hair growth and increases the thickness of the hair shaft. The treatment features platelet-rich plasma, highly concentrated with platelets responsible for cell growth and regeneration, boosting blood supply to the hair follicle.
The first step of PRP therapy involves drawing blood from your arm. This is placed in a centrifuge, spins the blood to separate the platelet-rich plasma from the platelet-poor plasma and red blood cells. The platelet-rich plasma will be injected into areas of your scalp that need new hair growth, producing full results within six months.
While an effective hair restoration option, PRP cannot cure hair loss. Additionally, you will need multiple treatments and maintenance visits to maintain your new hair.
PRFM elevates PRP for hair restoration
At Avalon Laser, we use the Selphyl® PRFM System as part of our signature hair restoration treatment to help our patients restore healthy hair growth. Selphyl® PRFM takes conventional PRP treatment to a new level by extending the benefits of PRP, helping the regenerative, restoration, and growth factor processes work better and longer.
The Avalon Hair ReStore treatment helps restore your hair while stimulating new growth. This advanced PRP treatment converts PRP to a “platelet-rich fibrin matrix,” or PRFM, by spinning the same blood cells in the centrifuge at a lower speed. The layers of the blood separate less, preserving a higher concentration of white blood and stem cells in the upper platelet layer.
Because of its higher concentration, PRFM forms a 3D scaffold that holds the PRP at the injection site, achieving superior results. Benefits include:
- The growth factors in the PRP work longer and better to restore hair follicles
- Prolonging this release stimulates the growth factors that increase hair thickness and the survival of hair follicles
- It is an excellent alternative to hair transplant surgery for those with mild to moderate hair loss and thinning
Why PRFM is better for hair restoration than PRP alone
Because the PRFM comes from your blood, there is virtually no risk of side effects or allergic reactions to treatment. And because there is no risk for health side effects, Avalon Hair ReStore treatment with the Selphyl® PRFM System can be used for nearly anyone who has experienced thinning and balding.
We believe that PRFM is better for hair restoration than PRP alone for the following reasons:
- More powerful growth factors for more effective hair follicle regrowth
- More profoundly and sustainably revitalized skin
- Excellent stability as the platelets are attached to the fibrin network
- Quicker, longer-lasting results with just one PRFM treatment
- More natural-looking outcomes
- A more versatile solution for a wide range of skin and hair loss conditions
- Continually works in the deeper skin layers to fight the aging process
- It includes additional compounds that act as thickening agents for the hair
- Gradual platelet release from PRFM enhances blood flow in the affected areas
- Strengthened skin structure
Contact Us To Find Out More About Our Advanced Hair Restoration Technology
At Avalon Laser, we understand that thinning and balding hair is an aesthetic concern for many. That’s why we stay ahead of the curve on the latest developments in aesthetic technology, offering state-of-the-art medical treatment to address this issue.
Led by Dr. Reza Tirgari, an established leader in cosmetic surgery in the San Diego area, we have extensive experience helping people look and feel their best. While other facilities offer PRP treatments, only Avalon Laser offers the advanced Selphyl® PRFM System for your hair restoration in San Diego.
If you’d like to learn more about PRFM for hair restoration and how it may help you, please contact us at 619-494-3944 to schedule a consultation. We proudly provide services to those who live in San Diego, Carlsbad, Del Mar, and other nearby areas of California.