Avalon Laser is a leading medical spa offering excellent laser treatments to men and women. Our advanced laser hair removal technology and our experienced medical team routinely deliver unsurpassed results in a safe and comfortable environment. In order to ensure the best results possible, we carefully examine each patient and develop custom treatment plans.
By combining our skills and our state-of-the-art technology, we are able to successfully remove hair from essentially any part of the body. Find out how we can help you by calling today at 800-896-1138 to arrange your free consultation at our office in San Diego or Carlsbad.
Why Consider Laser Hair Removal Treatments?
There are several reasons why prospective laser hair removal patients should research this treatment. Some are looking to remove embarrassing hair to boost self-confidence, and others are looking to save some time by not having to shave. Regardless of the reason, all laser hair removal patients can benefit from smooth, stubble-free skin.
Having to shave daily can become quite a hassle, especially for busy professionals. In addition, those who have to shave every day often experience skin irritations, including ingrown hairs. The skin can also become blotchy and bumpy as result of daily shaving. With laser hair removal, skin irritation becomes a thing of the past. A few quick and easy laser hair removal treatments can leave your face, legs, and bikini area smooth and hair free.
Laser hair removal is great for nearly any area of the body that has hair, including:
- Bikini line
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is one of the most widely done cosmetic procedures in the U.S because of its effectiveness in eliminating unwanted hairs. This non-invasive treatment uses highly concentrated light to destroy hair follicles on nearly any part of the body. If you’re looking to eliminate unwanted hair for good, laser hair removal has many benefits, including:
- Highly precise: Because it uses concentrated light, the laser can easily target dark, coarse hairs while not damaging the surrounding skin.
- Speed: The specialized lasers used for this treatment only take fractions of a second to treat multiple hairs at once. Generally, it can treat an area the size of a quarter every second. This means removing unwanted hair from your upper lip may only take a couple minutes and a larger area, such as the back or legs, can be treated in about one hour.
- Effective: This treatment gives most patients permanent hair loss between 4-8 sessions. Once the hair follicles are destroyed, they will not grow back.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
The laser targets hair within the hair follicle and heats it up, causing the follicle to become unable to grow hair again. It works most effectively on dark hair surrounded by lighter skin, although many different hair colors and skin types can be treated. On average, laser hair removal requires between 4-8 treatments.
Avalon Laser uses a combination of bi-polar radio frequency (RF) energy, combined with laser light for maximum effectiveness, which also makes the system one of the safest hair removal methods around. With each laser treatment, you can often expect less hair to grow back and with each successive treatment, your hair will be less coarse. In as little as six treatments, you can permanently and safely reduce the hair on nearly any part of your body.
How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal
There are certain steps you’ll need to take to ensure your treatment’s effectiveness. We want you to love your results. Smooth, hair-free skin is possible with laser hair removal, but it's important to take the proper precautions ahead of your appointment:
- DO avoid sun exposure for at least two weeks prior. Tanned skin decreases the laser's ability to target the melanin of the hair follicles. The laser is attracted to the darker pigment of the hair, so tanned skin essentially interferes with the targeted precision of the laser.
- DO tell us at your consultation if you are taking any medications or supplements, especially antibiotics. We'll need to make sure you can stop taking certain medications for a week prior to laser hair removal. Also let us know if there is a history of herpes virus (including cold sores) at the treatment area.
- DO wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunscreen and long sleeves and pants if you are outside in the two weeks prior to your appointment.
- DO shave the treatment area the morning of or night before your appointment. Arriving at the appointment unshaved will result in a longer appointment and a $25 fee for the additional time.
- DO arrive 20 minutes early to your scheduled appointment time. We will ask you to complete paperwork and the check-in process, and it normally takes about 20 minutes to do so. Early arrival means your entire appointment time is dedicated to the treatment itself.
The laser treatment is effective when you stick to the plan above. These steps also promote proper healing of the skin afterward.
What NOT to do Prior to Laser Hair Removal
Certain activities and products should be avoided in advance of your hair removal treatment in order to get the best results:
- DO NOT remove hair with plucking, tweezing, waxing, threading or similar methods for at least 2 weeks prior to your appointment. It is okay to shave during this time.
- DO NOT remove hair with plucking, tweezing or waxing in between laser hair removal sessions.
- DO NOT use tanning spray, bronzer, tinted cream, tanning beds or other tanning methods for at least two weeks prior to your appointment.
- DO NOT wear makeup or cosmetics to your laser hair removal appointment.
- DO NOT use Retin-A or similar medications for at least 1 week prior.
- DO NOT use Accutane for at least 3 months prior.
The laser works by destroying the hair follicle. To work effectively, the follicle must be present. While shaving doesn't affect the follicle, other forms of removal will, including electrolysis, tweezing and waxing. Follicle-removing methods basically make the hair invisible to the laser, as does tanning the surrounding skin.
After Laser Hair Removal
Our cosmetic specialist Dr. Reza Tirgari will give you detailed instructions for care after your laser hair removal procedure. In most cases, you will not experience any complications, discomfort, or downtime. You will be asked not to shave the area for some time to avoid irritation. You will see Dr. Tirgari for a follow-up appointment to make sure your laser hair removal procedure went well.
You've had your laser treatment and are ecstatic for smooth, hair-free skin. Make sure your results look amazing with these instructions for healing and aftercare:
- DO avoid sun exposure for at least one 1 week after your appointment.
- DO use a sunblock rated as SPF 30 or higher on any exposed areas of skin, when you are outside for a prolonged period.
- DO use an ice pack, cold compress or aloe vera gel immediately after your appointment to relieve redness, itching and burning.
- DON'T use a hot tub, steam room or sauna for 2-3 days after your appointment, to prevent skin irritation.
- DON'T engage in strenuous exercise or yoga, or activities that cause excessive sweating for 2-3 days after the treatment to prevent irritation.
- DON'T take a hot shower for at least 24 hours following laser treatment. Opt instead for cool water.
- DON'T use abrasive cleansers, exfoliators or other harsh skin products for at least a week.
- DON'T dry skin by rubbing with towels for at least 24 hours. Gently pat dry instead.
- DON'T apply any cosmetics to your skin until the redness has completely subsided.
There are a few temporary side effects that may occur after a laser hair removal treatment. Occasionally, depending on the body area, you may experience mild burning sensation during and after the procedure. This can easily be alleviated with a local anesthetic cream or ice packs. Discomfort after the procedure is very rare, although over-the-counter pain relief medication often helps. Any minor swelling and redness should subside within 24 hours.
Contact a San Diego Laser Hair Removal Specialist Today
When you come in for you laser hair removal consultation, we will talk to you about your expectations, based on your skin characteristics and hair follicles, as well as thickness and color of the hair. Dr. Tirgari and his team will give you an accurate estimate on how many sessions you will need to achieve your desired results. We understand that it helps to know what to expect even before you some to our office.
A good place to start your research is to view before and after laser hair removal pictures, which we have provided to you in our before and after gallery. Also, be sure to take a look at our specials for discounts on our quality hair removal sessions.
If you’re interested in learning more about laser hair removal, contact Avalon Laser today at 800-896-1138 to schedule a free consultation. We proudly work to enhance the beauty of those who live within the cities of San Diego, Carlsbad, Del Mar, and nearby areas of California.