BOTOX® Cosmetic is one of the most common cosmetic treatments in the U.S. for those looking to treat specific facial signs of aging. Over time, lines, wrinkles, and folds develop on our face from years of smiling, laughing, and frowning. Eventually, the lines and wrinkles become more permanent and can make you look older than you are.
While BOTOX® Cosmetic delivers temporary results, the outcome is excellent, and with routine maintenance and care, it has been proven to deliver great aesthetic results. This treatment has been shown to safely smooth facial wrinkles for a more youthful complexion. At Avalon Laser, Dr. Reza Tirgari has decades of experience treating patients using BOTOX® Cosmetic injections.
If you're interested in the facial rejuvenation effects of BOTOX®, please contact us by filling out the form on this page of by calling us at today to learn more and to schedule a free consultation. We proudly serve the areas of San Diego and Carlsbad, California.
- What is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- Benefits of BOTOX® Cosmetic
- BOTOX® for Excessive Underarm Sweating
- Candidates for BOTOX® Cosmetic
- Recommended BOTOX® Dosages
- Preparation and Aftercare
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a facial injectable that contains various substances and chemicals, including a purified chemical that comes from botulinum toxin type A, a neuromuscular toxin which is produced by bacterium. It works by temporarily freezing certain facial muscles that cause wrinkles due to sun exposure, aging, and repeated movements from talking and showing emotion.
Unlike other facial fillers, BOTOX® Cosmetic is made up of a toxin and is, therefore, considered more complex than alternative treatments. However, it has been FDA-approved for the use of facial anti-aging as well as some medical conditions such as migraines and excessive underarm sweating. BOTOX® Cosmetic can cause some side effects in some patients, which is why it’s extremely important to receive injections under the care of a trained medical professional, preferably a licensed medical doctor.
Benefits of BOTOX® Cosmetic
BOTOX® Cosmetic is generally reserved for patients who are unhappy with specific facial signs of aging, as well as those who wish to slow down the process of aging. Shortly after treatment, targeted lines and wrinkles disappear almost completely, giving the patient a more youthful and smooth facial appearance.
Once BOTOX® is injected under the skin, it freezes certain muscles that normally contract and cause facial wrinkling. As a result, patients not only experience excellent, immediate aesthetic results but also prevention from further wrinkling of facial skin due to the muscle’s inability to contract and cause additional wrinkles and lines.
BOTOX® can help smooth areas of the face including:
- Smile lines
- Frown lines
- Crow’s feet
- Glabella lines (between the eyebrows)
- Fine lines around the eyes
- Brow lines
- Deep neckbands and neck lines
BOTOX® for Excessive Underarm Sweating
Both men and women are affected by hyperhidrosis, a condition in which an individual experiences excessive sweating. The condition affects nearly 2-3 percent of Americans and can be a very uncomfortable situation because no matter what you do, you can’t seem to control the sweating. And the foul smell can appear even just minutes after you get out of the shower.
Hyperhidrosis is caused by hyperactive sweat glands, which cannot be treated with over-the-counter deodorants and products. Some dermatologists will offer medication; however, these have a number of side effects. At Avalon Laser, we provide our patients with anti-sweating BOTOX® Cosmetic injections, which literary paralyze the sweat glands, giving you the relief you are looking for.
There are several reasons our patients select this treatment. The benefits of using BOTOX® for excessive underarm sweating include:
- Offers immediate relief
- Completely eliminates excessive sweating and odor
- Does not have negative side effects as medication
- Can easily be maintained with repeat injections
- Does not require surgery or any downtime
- More cost-effective than oral tablets
Once injected into the armpit, BOTOX® paralyzes the sweat glands that are hyperactive, thereby eliminating excessive underarm sweating. Dr. Reza Tirgari carefully injects a predetermined amount of BOTOX® in each armpit. The injections are not painful because we provide a numbing solution. Some patients may experience minor bruising at the injection site for one to two days. This can easily be covered with clothing.
There is no need to take time off work with this treatment. Patients can return to their daily, routine activities right away. The results can last anywhere between three to six months. During your consultation, Dr. Tirgari and his staff will talk to you about your concerns and make sure your sweat glands are indeed hyperactive. After determining that you are a good candidate for BOTOX®, your appointment will be scheduled.
Candidates for BOTOX® Cosmetic
As with any cosmetic procedure, it’s important to know if you’re a candidate for a procedure before undergoing treatment. At Avalon Laser, all patients are thoroughly examined prior to treatment and their medical history is carefully reviewed. Those who are determined not to be good candidates are advised alternative treatments that are safe yet deliver similar aesthetic results.
BOTOX® Cosmetic has been FDA-approved since 2002 and is one of the safest injectables available. While it's safe, there are exceptions for those who have certain medical conditions. Those who are pregnant, have a neuromuscular disorder, or suffer from ALS shouldn’t undergo this treatment. BOTOX® Cosmetic should only be administered to those between the ages of 18 to 65.
Side effects with this treatment are extremely rare but are possible. Side effects may include:
- Allergic reactions
- Undesirable swelling
- Muscle weakness
At Avalon Laser, we have never treated a patient with BOTOX® Cosmetic who has experienced any adverse side effects. This is because we make sure that each patient considering the treatment is a good candidate based on strict medical criteria.
|Forehead||12-16 units||16-20 units|
|Frown lines||8-12 units||12-16 units|
|Crow's feet||8-12 units||10-12 units|
|Underarms||30-40 per area (60-80 total)||40-50 per area (80-100 total)|
Preparation and Aftercare
Once you've completed your consultation and decided that Botox® is the right treatment for you Dr. Tirgari will go over what you can expect in terms of preparation and aftercare. When treatment instructions are properly followed, your procedure can be optimally safe and effective.
- Please avoid any medications that can increase the risk of bruising, including aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc. It can be helpful to avoid fish oil supplements and herbal remedies that may have the same effect. Make sure you consult with your physician before changing any prescribed medications.
- Please also avoid any peels, topical remedies, etc. that will affect the area before your treatment and for at least 2 days after.
- Please advise the staff if you may be pregnant or trying to become pregnant.
Your practitioner may apply ice and pressure to the area to help with comfort and to reduce bruising. Some fullness, numbness or tightness in the area can occur.
- It is helpful to stay upright for about four hours after the injection. This reduces the risk of complications and also helps reduce bruising.
- Avoid heat to the treated area, (i.e. hot showers, face wash, Jacuzzis, saunas, yoga, baths, etc.) and prolonged sun exposure for at least 24 hours. Avoid strenuous activity for at least 1-2 days.
- Do not massage the treated area or get facials for at least 3 days.
- Maximum response can be expected within 7-14 days after injection. Some small red dots or minor bruising may be visible on the skin after treatment. These can be cleared with alcohol or makeup remover immediately after. Minor bruising typically resolves within hours to a few days. Light makeup can be used as needed.
- If proper amounts are used, the effects of Botox typically last 3-4 months. For underarm injection for hyperhidrosis, this may last up to nine months. It’s helpful to make your next appointment before the effects are completely resolved.
- A mild headache may occasionally occur. This is normal. Tylenol is ok if needed. Contact us immediately if you should feel numbness or weakness around the eye muscles, any drooping of the eyelid or any other weakness, difficulty swallowing or any allergic-type reactions.
We ask clients that they provide at least a 24 hour notice before any changes or cancellations to scheduled appointments in order to avoid incurring a cancellation fee or forfeiture of service.
Contact Avalon Laser for BOTOX® Cosmetic Today
All consultations at Avalon Laser are complimentary. When you come in you can expect to meet Dr. Reza Tirgari in person and he will discuss your aesthetic concerns and recommend the best treatment option. If you are deemed a good BOTOX® candidate, Dr. Tirgari will thoroughly educate you and make sure you are comfortable to proceed before any treatment is performed.
We look forward to making you look your best. Call or contact us online for service in San Diego, Carlsbad, Del Mar, and nearby areas of California.