How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Constantly shaving and waxing unwanted hair is not only time-consuming, but it can leave your skin irritated. You can end up with in-grown hairs, bumps, redness, and even acne. Laser hair removal can get you that smooth, stubble-free skin you want. So how does laser hair removal work? Here’s everything you need to know:
About Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a non-invasive technique where highly concentrated light targets hairs and destroys their follicles. As a result, hair growth is inhibited, and the hair loss even becomes permanent (for most patients) after multiple sessions. At Avalon Laser, we use laser light combined with bi-polar radio frequency (RF) energy, one of the safest, most effective hair removal methods.
Laser hair removal is most effective on dark hair surrounded by lighter skin, although treatments also prove successful for many different hair colors and skin types. It can remove unwanted hair from your face, underarms, bikini area, back, and legs.
Laser hair removal is an effective treatment that can save you all that time plucking, tweezing, shaving, and waxing. And permanent hair loss is the result for most patients who opt for between four and eight sessions. Laser hair removal is also a highly precise treatment that helps reduce the risk of ingrown hairs.
Preparing for Laser Hair Removal
To ensure the treatment’s effectiveness, it's essential to take the proper precautions.
- DO avoid sun exposure for two weeks before treatment
- DO inform the practitioner of medications, especially antibiotics, that you are taking
- DO inform the practitioner of a history of herpes or cold sores
- DO wear sunscreen and protective headgear before the procedure
- DO shave the treatment area the morning before treatment
- DO avoid exposure to natural sun or tanning beds
- DO NOT remove hair with plucking, tweezing, waxing, threading, or similar methods for at least two weeks before your appointment
- DO NOT remove hair with plucking, tweezing, or waxing between laser hair removal sessions
- DO NOT use tanning spray, bronzer, tinted cream, tanning beds, or other tanning methods for at least two weeks before your appointment
- DO NOT wear makeup or cosmetics to your laser hair removal appointment
- DO NOT use Retin-A or similar medications for at least one week prior
- DO NOT use Accutane for at least three months prior
You won’t experience any complications, side effects, discomfort, or downtime in most cases. To make sure your results look amazing, follow these aftercare instructions:
- DO avoid sun exposure for at least one week after your appointment
- DO use a sunblock rated as SPF 30 or higher on any exposed areas of skin
- DO use an ice pack, cold compress, or aloe vera gel immediately after your appointment
- DON'T use a hot tub, steam room, or sauna for 2-3 days after your appointment
- DON'T engage in strenuous exercise, yoga, or activities that cause excessive sweating for 2-3 days after the treatment to prevent irritation.
- DON'T take a hot shower for at least 24 hours following laser treatment. Opt instead for cool water.
- DON'T use abrasive cleansers, exfoliators, or other harsh skin products for at least a week.
- DON'T dry skin by rubbing with towels for at least 24 hours. Gently pat dry instead.
- DON'T apply any cosmetics to your skin until the redness has completely subsided.
Schedule a Laser Hair Removal Consultation
At Avalon Laser in San Diego, laser hair treatments are our specialty. Performed under the care and guidance of specialists in aesthetic enhancement, our highly skilled practitioners will successfully remove hair from any part of your body, painlessly and beautifully. Schedule a virtual consultation today.