BOTOX: MORE THAN JUST AN AESTHETIC TREATMENT
Enhancing Your Beauty within the cities of San Diego, Carlsbad, Del Mar & nearby areas of California
You would be surprised to find out that besides being used for crow’s feet and other facial aesthetic purposes, Botox has various surprising uses. While at Avalon, we use Botox for temporary facial contouring and excessive underarm sweating; Botox can also be used for the following purposes:
- Crossed eyes and uncontrollable blinking. Botox is FDA approved to temporarily tread crossed eyes as well as uncontrollable blinking in both children and adults. The results last about four months and are best administered by an experienced ophthalmologist.
- Teeth grinding or bruxism. When injected inside the mouth, Botox has proven to help alleviate teeth grinding by relaxing the muscles and thereby eliminating involuntary muscle movement, without affecting the patient’s ability to eat, talk and smile. Apparently the results can last up to four months.
- Urinary incontinence or leaky bladder. Botox is currently FDA approved for treatment of patients who suffer from urinary incontinence. Botox is simply injected into the bladder and during the following few months, patients are completely free of symptoms associated with a leaky bladder. This is great news, as urinary incontinence affects one in five people over the age of 40, according to the New England Journal of Medicine and the National Association for Continence.
- Hand Tremors associated with multiple sclerosis (MS). Researchers in Australia have successfully treated patients with severe hand tremors due to MS using Botox injections.
- Knee Arthritis. Researchers in the US have found that an injection of Botox to the knee helps patients who suffer from arthritis. The effects of this treatment become beneficial after one month of injection and improve both pain and function of the affected knee. This is great news for patients who wish to avoid knee surgery associated with arthritis.
- Migraines. Botox has been used for a while to treat migraine headaches. The FDA has approved Botox as a treatment for patients who suffer from chronic migraine headaches with up to 15 days of migraines each month. Botox helps prevent at least nine out of 15 occurrences of migraine headaches in these patients.
- Although Botox has not yet been FDA approved to treat depression, two studies published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research in 2014, suggest that an injection of Botox between the eyebrows helps alleviate depression. What’s more, it’s anti-depression effects last more than the three months guaranteed for cosmetic treatment.
At Avalon Laser we use Botox for cosmetic treatments as well as to prevent excessive underarm sweating. To learn more about Botox and your treatment options, please contact us today.