Fractional skin resurfacing, also known as laser skin resurfacing, with CO2 laser is considered the "gold standard" of wrinkle removal as well as a highly effective method to reduce or eliminate unwanted skin pigmentation and irregularities, including:
- Sun damage
- Spider veins
- Acne scars
This versatile treatment helps us address most of your concerns related to aging and environmental damage, as well as various cosmetic dermatology conditions such as rosacea and melasma treatment. We even use this procedure to help our scar removal patients.
Dr. Tirgari is very excited to be able to offer Fraxel treatment at his San Diego and Carlsbad medical spas. Please call (844) 321-1138 today to arrange a complimentary consultation to discuss what laser skin resurfacing can do for you.
Why Consider Fractional Skin Resurfacing Treatments?
Laser skin resurfacing is extremely precise and causes little damage to the surrounding skin and tissue. In fact, the laser stimulates surrounding tissue to grow and replenish. This results in healthier, younger-looking skin. The skin repair and regeneration process continues for up to 6 months following the procedure.
Treatments are done most often on the face, but can be done almost anywhere on the body including:
- The neck: to firm up and tone sagging necklines
- The hands: to remove unwanted age spots and blemishes
- The abdomen: to tighten skin and remove unwanted cellulite and stretch marks. Fractional laser resurfacing is highly effective at reducing stretch marks and loose skin after pregnancy and surgical procedures such as liposuction.
How Does Skin Resurfacing Work?
By using focused laser energy microbeams that extend deep into the skin, tiny holes are created that stimulate the body’s own natural collagen formation as part of the natural repair cycle. The result is a fast-forward healing process that stimulates skin regeneration and tightening, which keeps the plump, reduces wrinkles and improves skin texture. By leaving small spots of untreated skin in between, the healing process is fast and effective.
After applying topical numbing solution, the laser skin resurfacing technology is applied to the skin. The entire process last 20 to 30 minutes, after which you are free to go home. For optimal results, we may recommend more than one laser skin resurfacing treatment. These recommendations are made by Dr. Reza Tirgari on a case-by-case basis.
Preparing for Your Laser Skin Resurfacing Session
Preparing for your appointment is easy. To maximize the benefits, all you need to do are the following:
- For clients with any color or background ethnicity (ie. typically our hispanic, asian, and middle-eastern clients), as a precaution we will typically pre-treat your skin. This involves using Hydroquinone, a skin cream we provide, every evening for 2 weeks before your appointment. Doing this greatly reduces the risk of excessive pigmentation following the treatment and speeds recovery. If you think this may apply to you, please call us.
- Stop the Hydroquinone for 3 days before your laser appointment and stop any Retin-A/tretinoin/retinol or other skin treatment products at least 7 days beforehand (you may need to check with your doctor, depending on the medication).
- If you are prone to cold sores, we recommend starting Valtrex or similar medication the day before your appointment, and we can prescribe this for you.
- Avoid the sun/tanning beds for at least 2 weeks before AND after your appointment and wear SPF daily on the treated area. We may also recommend discontinuing fish oils for at least 1 week beforehand to reduce the risk of bleeding/bruising as well as certain anticoagulant medications, such as aspirin, plavix and other anticoagulants (please check with your doctor first).
- On the day of treatment:
- Take 650mg of Tylenol and 600mg of Ibuprofen approx. 2-3 hours before your appointment.
- Come in at least 1 hour earlier so that we may apply the numbing cream.
- Avoid makeup or lotions to the treatment area
- Avoid wearing contacts (glasses are fine)
- Male clients: please shave if you are having your face treated
Recovery and Aftercare
Downtime after laser skin resurfacing can be as little as three to five days, with your skin appearing mildly red and swollen after the procedure – similar to a sunburn. However, this is necessary in order for the skin to begin the process of repair, healing and firming.
Patients can opt for either a more aggressive treatment with a longer downtime for more dramatic results, or choose multiple less intensive treatments to achieve the same effect but with shorter downtime. We will explain your options to you during your consultation. In addition, we will provide you with detailed aftercare instructions and monitor the healing process.
Your Fraxel Consultation
When you come to our office, we will have you meet with Dr. Tirgari. He will take a look at your concerns, whether those are wrinkles, facial scars, acne problems, melasma or any other skin issue you are facing. Based on this exam, he will determine how aggressive your laser skin resurfacing treatment needs to be and how many treatments will help you get the best possible results.
Our goal is to address all of your questions and concerns. Please call us today at (844) 321-1138 to schedule your complimentary laser skin resurfacing consultation. Dr. Tirgari serves patients in San Diego, Carlsbad, Del Mar and other nearby areas in Southern California.
To view additional laser skin resurfacing before-and-after pictures, please peruse our photo gallery.