What are the Possible Risks and Side Effects of Lip Augmentation?
Using dermal fillers to enhance lip volume is among the most popular aesthetic treatments we perform at Avalon Laser. As with any procedure, there is a minor risk of complications and side effects. The likelihood of any adverse effects is extremely low and ensuring your lip enhancement is performed under the care of a board-certified doctor is the best way to ensure your comfort, health, and safety.
What are the side effects?
The side effects that could arise in rare cases include:
- Swelling and bruising that can last up to ten days
- Bleeding at the injection sites
- Redness and tenderness at the injection sites
- Reactivation of cold sores and other minor medical issues of the lips and surrounding skin
- Uneven outcome
- Lumps, irregularities in shape
- Injection of filler into a blood vessel, and loss of lip tissue
- Allergic reaction to lidocaine (the anesthetic used)
In cases in which extensive filling (adding considerable volume) has been performed for many years, there is a risk that the lips will have stretched to accommodate the filler and may appear wrinkled once absorbed by the body. At Avalon Laser, our lip augmentation is performed to create subtle, conservative improvements, not puffy, overfilled, or unnatural.
How to avoid the side effects
Thankfully, side effects from lip augmentation at our San Diego clinic are very rare and are preventable in almost every case. If you are considering lip augmentation with fillers, the best ways to avoid the risk of complications include:
- Choose a board-certified medical professional to perform the injections. Avoid undergoing the procedure based on low prices, special offers, or coupons – there is no question that you get what you pay for.
- Follow all medical instructions before and after your injections.
- Be upfront and honest with your doctor and provide a comprehensive medical history.
Have any further questions?
If you have any other questions, we are happy to help answer and determine whether a lip augmentation is right for you. You deserve to look and feel your best, and we are here to do what it takes to get you there. Call us today at (619) 494-3944 to schedule a consultation.